Original recipe at food.com by Lali. If you want to change the serving size, that site has a great feature to adjust servings and thus ingredient quantities. This is just my personal copy and clarification of the recipe.
Tidy to Eat: F | The sauce gets ALL OVER your hands as you eat this, but my "I hate messy and hard to eat things" husband found the flavor worth it. Which is rare.
Stomach-Friendly: A | This is not paleo, as it contains white sugar (1/4 c.) and brown sugar (2 Tbsp), but it sat well with my husband who is fairly glucose-intolerant and has trouble with processed foods. Also, we only used half the special sauce, which has the 1/4 cup of sugar, which means you can easily eat less sugar than the recipe includes.
Makes 2-3 servings. My husband and I easily finished this ourselves. Made it for dinner as a main dish, no sides.
Special Sauce (Topping)
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/8 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp hot water
- 1 Tbsp hot mustard
- 1-2 tsp garlic & red chile paste
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
- 1 c. chopped water chestnut
- 2/3 c. chopped shiitake mushroom caps (reference)
- 3 Tbsp chopped onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp oil (wok, sesame, or veg)
- 4-5 iceberg lettuce leaves, washed
- In small mixing bowl, whisk Special Sauce: dissolve 1/4 c. sugar in 1/2 c. water, then add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, lemon juice, ketchup, and sesame oil. Mix well and store in fridge until ready to serve.
- (Optional) Mix 2 tsp hot water and 1 Tbsp hot mustard in small dish. Set aside. Put garlic & red chile paste near this but do not mix the two. (These are meant to be added in small amounts to special sauce or individually per wrap to increase heat.)